Re: [CBQ] Collision Video

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Collision Video
From: "graywolfs02@hotmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 09 Feb 2017 16:03:41 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1486656223; bh=+GMZChtrJFs878VixqGFfkWaMz/5NbYhOIbSiLhUigY=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=PL2mFM7e6SjlNVy2PclgIAvHfg+wjj/OEJaAylvViFv+0YywY6pd/zXJjPumWs9cRWKvav3DtaHiPoRdkChRAgWXdfLhheEU1A5wlKwjJIG+7bc9zPG7FnXXIdGbMLBhHYytuJ99RxOX81IcOKcrJOEAt++u3Ixk3N6X213LK9k=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your insight as a railroader on this accident.

But for me your description of what is happening with the engineer raises a question for me I hope you may answer.

You say: "When your train goes into emergency, your first course of action is to stop the train as safely as possible. This requires some attention and focus, even when you are the one who puts the train into emergency"

Also: "As someone who has dealt with UDEs at speed, both during meets and out on single track main alone, each one is different. Like I said, your focus is getting the train stopped safely, which must be done with consideration for the train (weight, length, slack, etc.), the terrain and how the train is handling during the UDE. It's a whole lot of trouble right now when it happens."

My question is how does the engineer work at controlling his (her) train after an emergency application, especially one that is unexpected and not induced by the engineer?

I ask, as my understanding on an emergency application is that the train brake line loses its air pressure, the triple valve then directs air from the on car reservoir which then sets the brakes on each car. With the train line now devoid of air pressure, how will the engineer be able to control the train?

Do they then work the throttle as a source of control?

Again I thank you for the information you provided and look forward to your reply.

Greg K

Posted by: graywolfs02@hotmail.com