Re: [CBQ] Budd RDC

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Budd RDC
From: "Charlie Vlk cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:34:50 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1485794230; bh=fQyY0r5P8twAk/1DcKuU4idSQi1M31ZyGYmDzOk/kng=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=zSp2dsvMm00C+HmszoU1TQ7GXyahxWtvQCwq2sCCa7Q0J2ufWko7DtrIeJ2ytSakKdmjT12bO9QSBPyTz+awDOYEw1UQqXZVKdg7RhttRbxs8UcPnUK6vc3Z2/mWQJNKZAemO8dTw7zPzs7niM8e7N+q78PKCd8gu2Sgn8jpEz8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

You are correct, the Burlington did not own RDCs in spite of extensive use of gas electrics.
The railroad and union experience withe shovelnose Zephyr motors pretty much eliminated consideration of low cabs with little protection against grade crossing collisions.
It would be interesting to know if they did demo on the Q and what proposals Budd tendered to the railroad.  Because of declining passenger patronage on branch lines
It is likely they would have targeted RDCs for off-peak suburban service as the bilevels were the direction the Q was headed postwar.
Charlie Vlk

Sent from my iPhone