Re: [CBQ] Detours Over the CB&Q

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Detours Over the CB&Q
From: "STEVEN HOLDING sholding@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:41:30 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1484577693; bh=yvcMOgET728ByshmqsXuG2QPfh5DWnTg+5Jktz5uxDc=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=LJ3cHgq1afbLS5hjWsGaRriWMQOkBJtA2HDoBS+nR24Z8Px8tOBhd961VGvX33/FkcIiyP2cWVM3wBOeT3Yz6NRVagryZt6mcQXDn0O5dTPzE56ucfbtyP3TDQ3n6sFo4I7giH83P9EOTKR7t1KNJqXF0TbEiXcfttANwSRd9rE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

There were a couple ways to detour across parts of Iowa.  CGW from Talmage Jct to Des Moines then over the Q/Wabash Des Moines back to the main at Albia.   One time we had Milw Rd. detours Quad Cities down the Pea-Vine to Galesburg west to Ottumwa.  Course all detour moves had to have both road crews of the detouring line and pilot crews of BN.  And in true fashion the DS moved the trains over the lines.  We did such a good job we beat the Milw Times even though it was a longer run with more crews and pilots used.  We got a nasty note from management for moving the trains over the road faster then the pilots could rest out as then the foreign line train had to sit on our railroad waiting on the pilots.  Track work on the C&I would result in detours "Around the Horn"  or the 9th Sub.  Mendota to Denrock.  This worked as the Aurora crews could run both Aurora to Savanna and also Savanna to Denrock-Mendota-Aurora.  But a times with the Pea-Vine out of service we would detour Galesburg to Eola change ends and then Eola to Savanna.
This is something not often seen in Model fashion but is the good reason to have foreign power other then pool use.  Years ago on a layout we use to run at least twice a month in the Aurora Area I took a tamper and placed it on the main between the siding switches.  It really balled up the operations as the same guys that use to run every time now had to figure out how to run the same railroad with out this tiny section of track.
Steve in SC