Re: [CBQ] 1948-50's Mendota Sub ROW question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1948-50's Mendota Sub ROW question
From: "Zinger_77@hotmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2016 06:08:42 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1478959723; bh=tyYyJ3BWAk2kcD4R8PaLC+nA6SIroKq8is8afYk5/Rs=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=4+DNVEusT8v22q921ZUOvEGl0FEwGs5g3ncyAptBDYytXpoQAfHZxNuBdz4rBNzZzTZPko657UhN4QYbn4RB+Qwhq6n2LfE0V6fnWJ6oIZC2ipc57Z6cceWI3pJlsh+mc2Hl/ggrDbimPXXY0Hu2+I56/3nqmdzikKZGa9wygJ4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo,

Thanks for the great information!  I'll be sure to check out the BRHS site some more to find more information on that time period.

Regards,
Drew

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <qutlx1@...> wrote :

Drew,

Using the Qs 1959 Chgo and Aurora Div track diagrams.

1)slag ballast was installed just east of Princeton on trk 2 in 1945. On trk 1 in 1952-56. Steel mill slag  used by the Q varied in shades from white to beige  to sometimes a bit of pastel. The current ballast is nothing like slag.
2) rail on both mains was 129 and 131lb. Welded rail didn't really appear until the mid 1970s with a few Earlier trials.
3)based on photos, poles were on the south side of trk 2 and had 3-5 cross arms. I count 9 or more wires.
4) steam was still plentiful on the mainline in this time period. O1s and O5s. Diesels would have been FTs. There were probably some Praries on locals as well as early end Cab diesels.

I would advise you that "Mendota sub" is a BNSF term. The Q referred to this stretch of track as the Aurora-Galesburg or Galesburg-Aurora subdivision. Unofficially it was known as the "mainline".

You may want to go to the BRHS web site at Burlingtonroute.com and look at the archives listings for dispatchers train sheets which would provide exact engine numbers on trains.

Leo Phillipp