[CBQ] Re: F2A Article

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: F2A Article
From: "twells1983@kellogg.northwestern.edu [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 06 Apr 2016 17:44:40 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1459989881; bh=dJfDe6DByFd5MNOGQNJmMAi48LUjSSa+xYm+I9moMws=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=v9STTpKajPdnfj9YKaSSTvP9nB9RCdvo95m6b7QvgAWEL4pRoI+sbiwuNEDo2HU6zZW5oDlf2lOQeu8x3fWmbbVGAr25e8o8Hzypd5lnoj46BERjPx1KJ1T89fqZrsO3tNSm1XRzmT0OrAqb29sSO9IM0b5RBRaP1nu48ngOA6Q=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi Bob -

In looking over my copy of the article, I do not see a drilling template nor a reference to one for the nose grab irons. The text says "Grabs on the fireman's side and over the top of the nose are not pre-spotted. They were drilled following measurements taken from a prototype unit. There are seven grabirons and, beginning at the sill, the first three are positioned 1' apart, the next three 1'9", and the last grab is 2' from the previous one. Nut-bolt-washer (NBW) detail holes were drilled and the NBW assembly applied after the grabs had been ACC'd in place. Holes for the grabs and the NBW detail were drilled in the nose door, but neither was attached at this point as the large Burlington Route herald must be applied over the area later."

In looking over the article and the model photos, the first three grab irons are on the side of the body between the sill and the nose number board, whereas the last four are on top of the nose. Not mentioned are a long lateral foot board on the sill and a railing above the number board extending to the cab ladder and door.

I have a P2K F7A (HO) that has the grab irons on it, but not the sill foot board and railing, and the grab irons are positioned differently than the ones in the article.

Good luck in modeling these grabs. If you do come across a template or other information, I am interested in it as I have interest to do F units after application of the grab irons.

Tim Wells

Posted by: twells1983@kellogg.northwestern.edu