[CBQ] NP Mallet at Beardstown [2 Attachments]

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] NP Mallet at Beardstown [2 Attachments]
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 21:52:25 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from Hol Wagner included below]

I have always been a big fan of the Q's small fleet of Mallet compound articulated locomotives, and in Burlington Bulletin No. 34 I stated that the Q tried out one of Northern Pacific's new Z class 2-6-6-2s in 1907 before deciding to buy Mallets of its own, then buying three from its other parent, Great Northern, and accepting them at Chicago as they were on their way from Baldwin to GN at St. Paul.  A year or two ago a photo turned up of one of the GN Mallets heading west at Creston, Iowa, enroute to Havelock for set-up as a Q locomotive.  But until now I have never been able to photographically verify the testing of an NP Z on the Q.  Now, however, here is a postcard view of NP 3014 at Beardstown, where it would have been based when used as a northbound pusher on Browning Hill.  The data on the front of the card was written by the photographer and is printed as part of the image.  The info on the back, written by "F. Mac." on Oct. 23, 1907, confirms his sighting of the locomotive and the date at least to the month.  It is postmarked at Beardstown on the day he wrote it, Oct. 23, 1907.  This find has made me a very happy camper!

Hol

Attachment(s) from Hol Wagner | View attachments on the web

2 of 2 Photo(s)