Re: [CBQ] Re: What's The Hostler Doing?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: What's The Hostler Doing?
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:26:15 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

April 11, 2016

Richard - Some years ago, I posted a thread about a saw mill wood burning Baldwin 2-6-2 that I had owned during my years in the scrap industry. Whereas the Q locomotives that Phil talks about were superheated coal burners with piston valves, the 2-6-2 I had was non-superheated (saturated steam) and had slide valves. When at rest, steam would cool into water and accumulate in the steam chest. When the throttle was opened, this accumulated hot water mixed with soot and wood ash from the smoke box and flues would erupt (some would say "puke") from the cabbage head stack and give anyone nearby a good HOT dirty soaking. Such locomotives were called "Old Slobberface" and other less than endearing terms by their crews and saw mill workers. It was a rail fan badge of honor back in the late 1950s and early 1960s to get sooted by 5632 and cinder/sooted by 4960. Only sissified daisy pickers stayed in the coaches "safe" from the black rain.....  When my Dad was a brakeman during World War Two on the C&I, my Mom when irritated would call him a "dirty neck" brakeman from the black spots you mention being all over his neck and work clothes. Today, in this politically and environmentally correct era, black rain would never be tolerated. At least us old timers can remember how much FUN it was years ago to get dirty on the railroad. Best Regards - Louis