[CBQ] Lincoln Dead Line 1951 - Part One [2 Attachments]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Lincoln Dead Line 1951 - Part One [2 Attachments]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 14:50:55 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

March 31, 2016

Part One

Group - Hol and I share an interest in Q locomotive dead line images. Hol recently added four images to his collection showing retired locomotives in the Lincoln Dead Line taken during 1951, He was kind enough to share with me along with comments that I'm now passing along to Group members with Hol's permission. Any other comments about dead lines on Lines East or West are welcome.

Hol and I both have numerous images showing retired locomotives stored for scrap, but I have yet to come across an actual photograph of a "funeral train" consisting of retired locomotives out on the mainline in route to a scrap yard pulled by either steam or diesel power. If any Group member has such an image, Hol and I would sure like to see it. I'm attaching Hol's images below in two separate Emails rather than inserting them individually since they are large file sizes. Best Regards - Louis

- - - -

March 30, 2016

Louis:

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this topic, but I have been busy with so many different things that this just fell by the wayside.  When I finally got to it, I did a bit of research to see exactly what we're looking at in these four images.  All of them, I believe, are taken in the yard at Lincoln in August or September 1950, where dead engines were stored from the 1940s well into the 1960s, when the last of steam was retired and sold for scrap.  I don't think the shot with the way car is a funeral train for several reasons.  First, if it were a train it would be heading west.  Second, the way car has no markers.  And third, it was standard practice, as required or at least recommended by the AAR, to place one or more cars between each dead locomotive when moving them in a train.  All that said, here's what I see in each image:

CB&Q 1958, 2 more R-4s-5s, Lincoln, Neb., c. 8-1950

R-4 1958 and two more R-4s or R-5s, plus two additional locomotives (likely S-1-A or S-2-A Pacifics) are being switched by one of the several O-3s used in heavy switching service at Lincoln.  The 1958, assigned to the former Omaha Division portion of the Lincoln Division, was sold for scrap in August 1950.  The only other R-4s and R-5s from the Lincoln or Omaha Divisions retired at about the same time were the 1910, 2064 and 2096, all Lincoln engines.  And since we have a shot here of the 2096, the two in this photo must be the 1910 and 2064, both of which have had their stacks removed.

CB&Q 2096, Lincoln, Neb., c. 8-1950 (with S-1-A or S-2-A)

R-5 2096, sold for scrap in August 1950, is seen with an S-1-A or S-2-A still trailing an unmodified roll-top tender, pretty unusual at this late date.  I have had no luck, however, identifying which Pacific it might be (though the right side air pump indicates that it is a Worthington feedwater heater-equipped engine).

- - - -

Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com | View attachments on the web

2 of 2 Photo(s)