[CBQ] Re: Red cab roofs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Red cab roofs
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:39:31 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1454179174; bh=UtF/8LFx42KuwQsJ6zFWdrFFNmDxKwwgPlFwQe7XtJM=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=ggKhfJ2RvozkeZqMcUwpkEY2+nni6W5YIb2XVgxRzWQVsd/+yBkj97Np9oC+9LYPM6tt1sqj95H8LPQVVaIJGrQZrEVkCLimwID5TtET+GNxeIgLZsscnPOVfqZVzpUJQsvOB1A36WVN1XKTCX+CUJDXngIq83Iz5rbc0jTso/Q=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jon,

I am not sure that there was a standard mineral red. It may have varied depending on the supplier. Of course, with exposure to the elements, it also changed over time. Freshly painted, it was fairly bright. As time passed, it faded toward almost black. It was my understanding that the paint was red lead, which was used on many steel components as a protective coating, every outside the R environment. In the 1959 - 1960 time period when the Q was introducing Chinese red, they painted the cab roof of 5632 in that color. It was terrible! Some RRs, like the Pennsylvania,  painted the tender decks of their locomotives with red lead, for the same protective reasons.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO