Re: [CBQ] In 1967, Wm Quinn allegey sent a carload of snow to Florida

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] In 1967, Wm Quinn allegey sent a carload of snow to Florida
From: "'John D. Mitchell, Jr.' cbqrr47@yahoo.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 04:05:40 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1453521944; bh=5lC4En+khxGne7wAAkJwziPI+HcnY9iNfrr6pPU3/pM=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=feYEZHdziLjyUjGa1RsrYe+ahCL4jE35DEQ7bQ1sCFFnVkqkjH95+jceKhuTNlgVcV5HOnvIwmnDXEtn4AY9ayaaKccens1foDYbiL2My0yy25cR4m8hEksvwsK652bK8akPoK2FOMHFVeflbV6gebKLx1+AYxT3oe4f6gfqRVs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

The Chicago & Harrisburg (Harco) mines were long closed when this could have happened. Sahara Coal Company purchased the NYC coal reserves when the NYC dieselized, before this the coal had been leased by the Peabody Coal Company and mined by them (Peabody #40, #43, # 44 and # 47). Chicago and Harrisburg had been a "paper i.e. non-operating" company since the late twenties. The later mines, in question, were operated by Sahara (Sahara # 5, #6, #7,# 16, # 20, # 21 and # 22). The CB&Q never built into these mines (the IC did) and as a matter of fact the Q was many miles away and finally the PC did not abandon this line but rather sold it to the Southern and the NS later abandoned it, but other than that your account is about right. The Q served no Saline County mine directly but did receive interchange traffic from the NYC/PC at Forman, which was twenty miles or so south of the Sahara mines. There was a bridge washed out north of Cairo several years before the final abandonment and PC and Southern trains did not go to the far south end of the line.