RE: [CBQ] dinner aboard Amtrak and a question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] dinner aboard Amtrak and a question
From: "'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 06:57:40 +1300
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1448906265; bh=77LFbzVtTJZnQCoxgoN/OMUBtQrlskWihBjJBR22iCY=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=jApu7KVZ8GtErQcpjQsdruCi7Q1TfXfWF/8xtbBo6aw53zyWva52DkC1jt9bcT0O0n/OC+E9K2CGtj+9t70HJHhg+q1WRjy+fKzDcZy/wkXN3RPbNY+LXqp1rRs1OnN6eWqDMva+XhlEfXkMYElzOQiUAABKRwBuQPbeN02znhE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Tom

This issued was explained on the Steam Freight Car List by Richard Hendrickson -

This numbering system was practiced on a number of mostly mid-western railroads  and acted as an error checking device in the days when paperwork was actually on paper and was entered by human (and therefore fallible) car clerks. Typically, box cars had even numbers, open top cars odd numbers, and if a number didn’t correspond with the car type, it was obviously wrong.

The Burlington used an odd/even system at some stage before 1885 with box, stock and ballast cars with even numbers while coal cars and flats with odd numbers, but furniture cars also had odd numbers. This may be because they were in limited supply, with special handling instructions in the ORER, and needed to be numbered differently to box cars. By 1885, standard numbering was being used on all new cars apart from new furniture cars which were still receiving odd numbers in 1890.

In 1901, the CB&Q purchased 100 ballast cars from AC&F and gave them even numbers 9010-9208, in the same number group as old, odd numbered coal and flat cars. I don’t know why they were not given their own number group with coal, gravel and cinder cars in the 70000 series.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ