[CBQ] Re: Proposed but never built CB&Q steam?

To: CB&Q Group <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Proposed but never built CB&Q steam?
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 18:03:27 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1444086211; bh=Dj73bVC37dp692nvWrCvj1jDmnuCK1KAHtvGH8cdlUA=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=DsoTgIdWoy++rq+VJ9mCHxBp7x7lPTSO84Ej/3/jnPkGYm0cIVGL/NJt1Qbeovv1AVgsgHTJl8E/V9qw7HDBMPQhKtuQTx9ue7pA9vnonbQ/z+M5e3KW6rJpNBwDlf7eK8dWr2kNwYAedGdvhmHj7R2PCsFviqQ04PUTVkmaZys=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Charlie,

The first Milwaukee Road F-6 and F-6A class hudsons were contemporaries of the Q S4s, very likely designed at the same time. The 14 F-6s were delivered in 1930 gwhile the 8 F-6As were delivered in 1931. Both the 22 Milwaukee and the the first 12 Q hudsons were built by Baldwin 1930 while Milwaukee's 6 later streamlined F-7 hudsons were built by Alco in 1938.

According the Hol Wagner in BB no. 33 on the hudsons, he indicates that Baldwin drew heavily on the design of the heavy USRA pacifics built 12 years earlier. In fact, he makes at least two references to that point. I would suggest that the last Southern Ps-4s built in 1928 by Baldwin (all of the rest were built by Alco) may have also influenced the design of the Q hudsons.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO