[CBQ] Re: SD 7 Exhaust Stack

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SD 7 Exhaust Stack
From: "twells1983@kellogg.northwestern.edu [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2015 18:40:26 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1443663628; bh=mFCXvRb6+FsffEfnFo9E9PiDt45tRfFSkQh8R533SOg=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=BziYFYvttx9WhwkClQeXcL5gP/Q4jf8AYSjMAyTdqT1AqDyiYMbjwKOurfXWGfjNG7q7cw1Xydp6O8W/ftetM4xnDIdNcweymsPw2qcKZ92kRJsSfzsUoKlRfzYwjeSBnd+++q/oYzscl7OLuJJTVhBuDdUMLPFr+rK1jnGnIZ8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Many thanks to the various responses to my inquiry on exhaust stacks of Burlington system SD7s and SD9s. Gordon Smith's pointer to page 63, BB48, more clearly shows the exhaust stack look I am seeking which is about twice as tall as the molded one on the model. It is hard to see this feature with ground level photos, although I think if you see the stack in a typical roster shot looking up, it probably is taller than what the model has.

Bill Barber's comments that these were standard as delivered seems plausible for Burlington units, as several posters pointed to many other units with this item. Over time, presumably in the west, many units received flared spark arrestors, as visible in 5 of the 6 photos Bill attached to his posting.

After Gordon's comments, I am leaning towards scratch building. I was hoping somebody had a photo of the Custom Finishing part 247 as Walthers only has a very crude free-hand drawing that depicts the stack without a taper.

Tim Wells
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 8:16 PM
Subject: [CBQ] SD 7 Exhaust Stack

I am detailing an old Proto 2000 SD7 for CB&Q in 1969 and the unit I am doing (#315) appears to have exhaust stacks taller than what is on the model. The stacks appear about twice as tall as the stock one, with a slight inward taper towards the top. A photo of BNSF 6132 in BB48, page 85 is the best photo I have come across that shows this stack.

Is there a commercially available part for this? What have others done to model this?

Thanks, Tim Wells

Posted by: twells1983@kellogg.northwestern.edu