[CBQ] Plann 3995C Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Plann 3995C Cars
From: "'Kenneth Middleton' krmiddle@charter.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:31:53 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Burlington used two Pullman cars which were rebuilt to Plan 3995C, the "Lancaster Club" and the "Happy Hollow Club". As nearly as I can tell these were built to be used on the Ak-Sar-Ben, and they are listed as being part of the consist in several places in John Strauss's Burlngton Route Passenger Trains, Volume 1. I alos originally thought these cars were operated at the end of the train, but the consists in Strauss's book indicate that the cars operated on the ends were the were the "Omaha Club" and "Lincoln Club."There is a builder's photo of "sister car" "Minnesota Club" which shows it lettered for the Blackhawk, for which I believe it was built. The only photos I have seen of the "Lancaster Club" and "Happy Hollow Club" were taken after the cars had been painted silver. Does anyone know if these cars were actually lettered for the Ak-Sar-Ben, or just carried normal "Pullman" on the letterboards when they were still Pullman green? I did check Tom Madden's Pullman project listing, and it shows all four of the 3995 cars has having standard Pullman colors, even though the builders phot of "Minnesota Club" shows specific train lettering (apparently this was considered standard because the colors were standard?).

Best regards,

Ken Middleton
Portage, MI
krmiddle@charter.net