Re: [CBQ] Poultry Car?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Poultry Car?
From: "richtownsend@netscape.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:26:32 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1440779198; bh=D+a8lfN+cFi92H1HvlOZcDn6cFUtudgBa4/9UrbduRU=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=GRW6oAh80vMivWpb2jGf9Il9dOmJHbAlFgAOHOxVHAzDQNu3EgzsMqbAwb0XJbJJpqhMUp0RjBvIiRtWGRElsoeFgFVaNjuVjsWnzag3j3UMIDMWrCp70vGQOT+CYpLautHiXFKjPqJwtDpp0qAj9cANBZ0H6zf9mlZ+T7naISc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I don't think any railroads owned poultry cars, though I could be wrong. I think they all were privately owned. The Live Poultry Transit Company (originally the Live Poultry Transportation Company) was the biggest owner of poultry cars and had a virtual monopoly on the movement of live birds in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1924 the Palace Poultry Car Company was formed and began to compete with LPTX. In 1926 National Car bought PPCX and in 1930 bought LTPX.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon