[CBQ] Missing Track at Savanna Yard

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Missing Track at Savanna Yard
From: "thommack@yahoo.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2015 08:05:11 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I have uploaded a track chart of the Savanna yard engine facility and roundhouse area. It was taken from a much larger chart of the entire yard that shows all the tracks, water mains, fire hydrants, electric lines, etc. So it is pretty detailed. I can't find the date on the track chart but due to the fact that the chart only shows the sand tower and not the ash pit, coaling facility, etc., I can only assume it is from the late 1960's. In particular note Track 77 on the left side of the map that runs above the sand house. It is shown as 564' feet long. Track 76 I the lead track that runs all the way to the turntable. A second turntable lead, Track 75, splits off of Track 76. Track 78 also splits off of Track 76 and runs by the roundhouse, between Tracks 43 and 44.

Now here is where things get interesting. At https://www.flickr.com/photos/45436499@N02/7098031087 is a great aerial view of Savanna Yard during the flood of 1965. You can clearly see the sand tower. It looks like the coaling hoist or cinder hoist for the ash pit (sorry, ‘m not a steam guy so sometimes the terms escape me) is still there behind the sanding tower. And… there is also an extra track between the sand tower and the sand house! This track is not shown on the track chart. So the question is, what track is this and when was it removed? Did it possibly come out when the coal or ash hoist was removed? Does anyone know when the steam servicing equipment and possibly this extra track was removed from Savanna Yard?

I am finishing up my Savanna Yard roundhouse area and these are the last tracks I need to put in. As I am modeling from 1966 to the end I am now going to put in the steam locomotive equipment, just the sand tower. So now the question is do I put in this second track or not?

On a related topic, does anyone know what the three hoppers and two boxcars are doing on Track 77 behind the sand house? Some photos I have show MOW equipment there, such as an orange outside braced boxcar. Was this for the incoming sand? Are those possibly ballast cars? There are also two hoppers sitting down at the end of the track by the steam servicing equipment. Perhaps coal cars? Or for removing cinders?

Tom Mack

Cincinnati, OH

Posted by: thommack@yahoo.com