[CBQ] Passenger car names....The final answer re Silver designation on p

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Passenger car names....The final answer re Silver designation on passenger train equipment
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:54:02 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Burlington's Zephyrs  Karl Zimmerman

Page 57:  OVERNIGHTING BY Zephyr

The Denver Zephyr of 1936 was another pioneer among Zephyrs.  It was the first overnight Zephyr and thus the first to carry sleeping cars.  It was the first Zephyr with double-unit cab-booster (A and B units) locomotion.

IT INTRODUCED THE CONVENTION OF NAMING ALL CARS WITH THE PREFIX SILVER, SO APPROPRIATE FOR THESE TRAINS OF GLEAMING STAINLESS STEEL..

Page 61............Penultimate paragraph:   The Silvery shine of that stainless steel was recognized FOR THE FIRST TIME in the naming of of the Denver Zephyr cars.  ,  BEGINNING A TRADITION THAT WOULD CONTINUE UNTIL THE END OF ZEPHYR BUILDING, which came in 1956 with the completion of the second edition of the Denver Zephyr.  All  the cars, including the  power units (or more properly, locomotives in the case of the Denver Zephyr and second Twin Zephyrs WOULD HAVE SILVER PREFIX NAMES.

Depending on whether you think Mr. Z has his facts straight, I think that the above offers the definitive answer to the origin of the Silver "moniker" which I've always thought was correct.

If you doubt Mr. Z I guess you'll have to look elsewhere

Pete

Posted by: jpslhedgpeth@aol.com