[CBQ] Re: Did the Q sell locos to Pielet at McCook,IL

To: CB&Q Group <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Did the Q sell locos to Pielet at McCook,IL
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:52:05 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1433688729; bh=/NLINqZvdJOTZw790CC1LfB/ANmIy9tMHlBmW8dQj8Y=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Dt9X6xXnVWf+1LSVuWKwT56enYJsBQkynjpqPDsidgu2+NJWnqJE8ody6zquNP/aAYJjJONN4jg+hSgcI5wEgjigQPiGaQH8eiy1WA1vtOfFc/UsWv/YAnIkIkKZRnfnsWCuf93xVfPJHOzaB48zLUknw61fwRKnbrxNYyRnSBI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Louis,

The only Commonwealth Edison 0-6-0 that I am aware of is no. 5 at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union. Whether it came via Pielet Bros, I don't know. There is also a Chicago Gravel Co. 0-6-0 no. 18 on display in Bensenville, IL. I don not have any history about it, but it has been there since the late 1950s or early 1960s. As I child, I remember traveling past Pielet Bros scarp yard fairly frequently on our way to Midway Airport (before expressways).  I don't ever recall seeing a steam locomotive in there. If it occurred, it was not a regular practice. Pielet Bros did not become active in scrapping diesel locomotives until 1959 or later when EMD began it's locomotive replacement trade in program. Before that, there weren't any "old" diesels. The first generation diesels were still considered new.

Pielet Bros was not a very large facility. Prior to the diesel trade in program, it is my impression that they were a minor player in the scrap business. Their proximity to EMD and willingness to work with them, helped them develop as a major locomotive scrapper. Over the years, I have seen other RR equipment in there for scrapping, so their business was not limited to EMD work. Because of their work practices, they eventually were required to make a major environmental clean up of their property.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO