[CBQ] Re: What's the difference between a mixed and a w/f that carries p

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: What's the difference between a mixed and a w/f that carries passengers ?
From: "'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:12:07 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo, I can only speculate. But I would guess the mixed offered better accommodations, a better schedule and regularly carried passengers, plus the baggage car probably carried mail and express that helped pay the cost of the train. Whereas the way freight offered only the caboose, probably seldom carried passengers and had a schedule that discouraged passengers. In addition the way freight may have stopped at every spur and siding, sometimes taking hours, whereas the mixed may have stopped only at the depots and may not have switched every spur, in addition it may adhered to the timetable schedule better.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Posted by: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@iowacentralrr.org>