RE: [CBQ] Derailment Photo

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Derailment Photo
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 08:38:49 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1427726332; bh=WR0ScNvYUUI2HlxanZ3RBNYfgsZbOAsLfkUEgl3aAWs=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=l+duNxMF31MxRsY2SNneXQnpRpIVl/apIW1hLyllibwwG3Uy9O+f88BcTBv3YXZuKxJknomV32fKaulfxlKG/Ci/Q8sUGFozvDuzO/sajo8wPtSlmah9Di8KeHK3tc2IgJBJBvtc0Ksvm7zBilb9/RWv6JoDtMN1EECbN6Xrxkk=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

The 60-foot RPO car in the derailment photo, incidentally, is one of the class MA-10 cars in series 2315-2324, built by AC&F in 1916-17.  Their 4-2 window configuration was distinctive and was later changed to a group of five windows toward one end -- also distinctive.  To be carrying a 60-foot mail car the train involved would have had to be one of the through trains between St. Louis and Minneapolis-St. Paul in conjunction with the Rock Island north of Burlington.  The photo of the engine in the river makes it clear that it was a northbound train, so it was most likely the northbound-only train (no southbound counterpart), No. 1, which left St. Louis at 11:45 p.m., passed Fort Madison at 5:08 a.m., arriving at Burlington at 5:40 and continuing on north on the Rock Island for a 4:45 p.m. arrival at St. Paul and 5:40 at Minneapolis.  The only other choice would have been No. 15, the Twin City Limited, which departed St. Louis at 2:15 p.m. and passed Fort Madison at 8:20 p.m.

Comparing the locomotive in the river with the locomotive sitting on the Fort Madison siding, there's a strong likelihood that they are the same locomotive, even to the left side classification light on the smokebox.

Hol