[CBQ] Re: Can Anyone ID This Image [3 Attachments]

To: CB&Q Group <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Can Anyone ID This Image [3 Attachments]
From: "William Barber clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 13:11:26 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1425924697; bh=ig9ICc7gVGFx3osgI5iTFV9+hDIbUJSiYDYTwkYAeXY=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=xx2/o8Ghot+wMrU39adEdfVBXq1i08/+optOIeRhdmx5h34oAbXz4pdmnCaTmE9u6DGUFhp0L2OYm6rHUCRv6qkEhClqB5Bl9zIob9YMRSOArPhQ0XMr1IJ1YN2+GjFfatQA2no6pKzgUKVbfSr00+h1XE/JycJqvwp3rl7ydEU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from William Barber included below]

Louis,

The photo of S3 No. 2955 is taken in the West Bottoms area of Kansas City which is just west of downtown KC in a low lands area adjacent to the confluence of the Kansas River and the Missouri River. This area, which was prone to flooding, was an industrial area and the location of the stockyards as well as the original Union Station. There was a yard located there which is now reduced in size. The bridge behind the 2955 is the 12th street viaduct to the south. Attached is a satellite photo of the area, today. The photo of 2955 was taken just to the east of the the intersection of Union Ave. and Santa Fe St.

The KCT roundhouse was and is located south of this point and south east of Union Station. along Southwest Blvd. Today, the roundhouse has been remodeled as a rather unique office building, I believe part of Westside Business Park, complete with it's turntable, half a dozen tracks radiating from it and a KCS car on the table. At one time, they had a B unit painted in KCS colors on the table, but I think it is now a baggage car. Attached is a satellite view of the area showing today with the station at the upper right and the roundhouse toward the lower right. In the hey days of passenger service, the roundhouse was part of a coach yard and shop complex that served the depot. It even included a balloon track around the roundhouse to turn entire trains. Attached is a photo copied from Jeffery Spivak's excellent book titled Kansas City Union Station, that shows the station and yard complex. This was all KCT property at that time.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO