[CBQ] Railroad owned and operated buses ?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, CBQ@yahoogroups.com, cnw@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Railroad owned and operated buses ?
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 20:29:31 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Let me say upfront I am a long time member of both the BRHS and the CNWHS.
After reading the winter and spring CNW lines articles on buses and rereading
BRHS bulletin 24 on buses I have a question.

Why did and what were the thought processes of both companies mgmt when they
set up bus routes that paralleled  their Zephyrs and City trains ? Especially
in light of the fact(found in several studies) that something like 70% of
mainline train passengers are Intermediate stop or what we called "shorts".

The buses,per regulations could only handle interstate,not intrastate
passengers. So these buses would serve a large segment of the 70% who rode
mainline passenger trains. I can certainly understand bus routes that feed the
mainline trains or replace branch line runs, but these routes that parallel the
mains from Chicago to the west coast cause me to ask the question.

We're mgmts looking to get out of the passenger business on rail and just shift
it to buses ?

Leo Phillipp

BRHS And CNWHS member for many years and article contributor to both.

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com