RE: [CBQ] Re: Oil Burning Steam Locomotives on the Q

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Oil Burning Steam Locomotives on the Q
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 14:05:06 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1425243908; bh=lJnZwEqnKPMAHqPf2YjYnhVtZrbUiK0Qc49ekWwFjd8=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=PwYzTp3HSu5LQweebFdh5OJFmZffJ+nnmBP1SCRl5+aTpCQd4/ebCa0QCkIe933gWwiUZgqGhXe64snIZ4hEp/2FnqFZIaG/YtLEcmpesYVrKBD4JY433B30qFkVWyaQqWSRMxGa1uGzJH2yu89RZjObK/s2pnKchTSthpxaufM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill:

I think the conversions were a shop job primarily because of the need for a crane to lift the oil bunker in/out of the tender.  Other than that the work could have been done in a roundhouse.  Grates, as you note, were regular replacement items and most large roundhouses with their own storehouses would have stocked grates for all the classes of locomotives they regularly serviced.  And in cases such as Denver and McCook, where both lignite and bituminous were employed, both types of grates would have been kept in stock.  The oil atomizer/burner likely had to be ordered from a regional or system storehouse, and of course for the initial conversion to oil a suitable oil bunker had to be fabricated.  Bat Masterson had a series of photos, taken by the Q photographer, showing the materials used and the conversion process for the B-1-As done in the mid-1940s.  The oil bunkers for those locomotives were fabricated at Havelock, not the Denver shops, and the actual conversion work was done at either Lincoln or Alliance, as I recall.

I've been looking at photos of O-2 Mikes as I prepare to discuss the ones leased to the C&S and FW&D.  And I've found examples of O-2-B conversions (into oil-burners) where the L&B front ends of former lignite burners were removed, and others where the smokebox extension was left in place, though I would imagine the lignite baffles and netting were removed from inside.

Hol