Re: [CBQ] re: Piledriver sans tender

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] re: Piledriver sans tender
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:36:17 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

February 18, 2015

Gerald - Thanks! Since the pile driver itself weighed in the range of 90 net tons, your observation about minimizing the weight on trestles being constructed or repaired makes perfect sense. Back in the early 1970s when I moved south to the Alabama Gulf Coast, the L&N was still 100 per cent "steam" with their pile drivers assigned to protect the many trestles and bridges on the Mobile & New Orleans Division. The pile drivers all had been equipped with L&N passenger steam locomotive whistles, so when they self-propelled themselves to a job site and blew for the crossings it sounded just like a steam train was coming. They all had a very rapid exhaust, similar to that of a Shay, when moving. Finally, after the L&N became part of the SCL, the Mobile & New Orleans Division pile drivers were all retired and scrapped with the whistles being given to long term employees. The IC down here also kept a steam pile driver whose boiler had been condemned. A large industrial diesel air compressor had been mounted on a flat car coupled to it to replace the steam with compressed air. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL