[CBQ] Re: Update to BRHS photo gallery

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Update to BRHS photo gallery
From: "jonathanharris@earthlink.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2015 21:56:10 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1424238971; bh=3t0dTI4KWM4C4YbXLDGIX2YZ3Kco+REcg2ZzVijgJD4=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=FeZKgPeAMoVIv6JWJjWnDIBXGZQVvl7D2w7NXoiFJ3Omp6SI4IB1zKZREtoKonue3gZu4ZqqTnZzfcmmT9Qq2VZdXJfpEKByU52TgdrO2nCmwYlUv8FpPNWOWuAYNN0Gt2SI/g8rwSGaL45wOEZQ3u9dPKSAH+wDbt4EOQ3mJg0=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hi Jan -

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but this massive image transfer concerns me. If the photos are just going to be copied and also posted at the BRHS site, that's fine, but if they are to be removed from their albums here at the same time, that would undo a lot of work people have invested in compiling these collections without necessarily making it easier to interpret or even find things in the way you suggest.

I am very happy to share photos here and in the BRHS gallery. However, the Gallery categories are not the same as the categories people use for their own albums here on the CBQ Yahoo group site. For example, some years ago, I created an album on Oregon, Illinois, and made it an open album so anyone could add to it. Most of the photos in fact are not mine. They cover a variety of subjects, from aerial views of the yards to various industries, to railroad and non railroad, buildings, passing trains, etcetera. If these are moved to the BRHS gallery, presumably they all would be broken up into different categories and filed separately, which no doubt would make it easier for people to see the images in terms of certain attributes ("locomotives" "buildings"  or "passenger cars") but at the cost of losing the geographic unity of the collection as a whole. How could I search for Oregon? Or Galva? or ...? There are so many cross-cutting categories that without a completely searchable database it's practically impossible to have one system that accommodates everything. So unless we're running dangerously low on storage space in the Photos section here, I would be loathe to dismantle any one way of looking at the images to create another, because each way tells its own unique story.

Jonathan

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <j.kohl@...> wrote :

As a very appropriate follow-on from the photos comments, I just wanted to let
everyone know that a massive update the the BRHS photo gallery is imminent.
http://www.burlingtonroute.com/gallery/index.php

So just a few notes so that everyone knows what is going on. Every so often we
pull all photos/files from the Yahoo groups and upload them to the Burlington
Route Historical Society website. We haven't done it in awhile, but there are
several reasons for doing this:
1. As mentioned by a few people recently, there is no requirement by Yahoo to
keep anything at all, they run the old Usenet groups however they want. If we
put photos into the BRHS gallery, we have no intentions to move or remove them
as long as the internet is around.
2. Make it easier to find things. If you've visited the BRHS gallery, you'll
see that it is broken up into various categories to hopefully make things easier
to find.

A few facts to note about this:
1. All credit is given to whomever posted the items or uploaded them. Note that
while I have kept pictures posted to the newsgroup in a folder under the
person's name, photos downloaded from the Yahoo group albums I may not know who
created the album or posted the photos. For those whom I know have uploaded an
image, I have appended their name to the filename (see example below).
2. We are not trying to take anyone's photos. No copyrights are assumed or
changed, whomever has the copyright to a photo still has it.
3. If for whatever reason you have an issue with your photos being
moved/uploaded, just let me know. As mentioned, this is a normal procedure
between the CB&Q Yahoo group and BRHS website, just a way to make photos easier
to find and always available.
4. If I didn't capture your name on a photo that gets moved, just let me know
which photo and who you are, and I can update it.
5. All current albums (but not the photostream attachments) will be deleted
after the photos are moved. If you have a problem with an album being deleted,
just let me know.

A few more housekeeping notes. If you upload photos to the CB&Q yahoo group or
attach them to a post, PLEASE SIGN YOUR FULL NAME on the email or INCLUDE YOUR
NAME as part of the file name! It is very difficult to discover who uploaded a
photo to an album, it does not use anyone's full name, only their Yahoo ID. If
you don't sign your emails, again, very difficult to discover who you are. As
well, when you update photos, please change the name to reflect what the photo
is about, date, time, ect. Randy posted a great guide about it a few posts
back, and note that Hol and Louis both name their photos with appropriate names.
An example that I use with my photos is such:
cbq_4004_4-6-4_eola_IL_1951-05_jankohlcollection.jpg
cbq_103_U25B_orchard_farms_mo_1969-09_jankohlcollection.jpg

Finally, if you have other photos you'd like to upload to the BRHS website or if
you are interested in helping update & maintain the BRHS gallery (for example,
it would be nice for someone to go through and add keywords to all the photos)
please let me know and I'll be glad to create an account.

Cheers!

Jan Kohl
CB&Q List Admin

Posted by: jonathanharris@earthlink.net