Re: [CBQ] Seasonal use of gondolas on the Q

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Seasonal use of gondolas on the Q
From: "'John D. Mitchell, Jr.' cbqrr47@yahoo.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 04:41:58 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1422333720; bh=9RwI1+PBAvdpXbIDdVzGJV2nFogHtKu60IyGk6oPxgY=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=mDtREdouV3FoOLc0oarZPt5Dcckj9R1SMx63GjDh9r+Pvzhdua72PmIWhER3VKL3jiedZkunKIuHtRAV47Y9LvM6HtkHo2Taoe/XzdwLx7/9I9908k4piVWMqrE5R6jmGBb/DlEDQp5OEMohtzx80rtKu3aT0wUeiNgtZqekFRw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Up until the late 1950's, Midwest coal mines depended heavily on home and institutional heating requirements. Summer was a very slack time with mines working one or two days a week and sometime not even that. That's why my father farmed. The wasn't much mine work to interfere with his time farming and we needed the money, such as it was! After the introduction of home air conditioning and the demise of coal home heating, there was a peak demand in the summer for utility coal.

Also, the Q used gondola cars for company coal, because many coal chutes had hoppers outside of the rails.