[CBQ] Isabella,Pullman dinner 4438. ?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Isabella,Pullman dinner 4438. ?
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:59:30 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It's my turn to ask a question for a change.
Does anyone know or can point me to a history of Isabella ? I checked Strauss
and Glicks works along with BRHS bulletins to no avail.
 I'm asking because tonight for the first time in approx. 40 years I ate a meal
in the former ISABELLA, PULLMAN DINING CAR 438 in Sandwich,IL. She sure looks a
whole lot better than my last visit in 1974 while working the Earlville Turn.
Bones Mathers was the extra Condr that day off the list and from the start
dinner was going to be at the diner in Sandwich because of their strawberry
pie. Back then a lot of extra trim etc had been added to the exterior to make
the car look more like a Zephyr. Inside it was laid out like an old roadside
diner with stools,counter,etc.
I was not impressed back then, but sure was tonight. The exterior has modern
wood cladding and trim but the interior is to a very large extent all original
and refurbished. The leaded windows are very nice,interior panelling,trim,etc
has all been stripped and refinished.

The Bullmoose BAR AND GRILL website has an overview of the cars service life
and pictures. It mentions built date of 1893, service on the Burlington Flyer
to the Columbian Exposition, then govt service as Teddy Roosevelt's car from
1900-1913, which was longer than he was president or in govt office. Also if
you google History of Pullman car Isabella you can get to the bull moose site.

The framed 1934 Q calendars in the non car portion,along with other Q
memorabilia and a Q switch lamp add a nice touch. And there is still strawberry
pie,first out on the dessert menu.

Leo Phillipp

Sent from my iPad

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com