[CBQ] re: Posters & WWII & CB&Q

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] re: Posters & WWII & CB&Q
From: "gvlc6@hotmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2014 14:24:23 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1411680264; bh=IyfgAwmxBWqOMvMvzvxczBC1gRng7CTnWSaXgnL6oUg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:X-Original-From:X-Originating-IP:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:From:Subject; b=m/RijEqXTciJE/HQTQ83j5tly8e3fCcr05ucopGkWPd8HreaZtDZgvrllhM+vgEmwG1BMCQl3XdPNdU8WHsq0Gvo6Qjp00H3e6OOpzBiBXAbPfdmOM+wwZUaqjY8+dlotfpf56Jxio2OEITtdmMkJUYsTvCcph5a9KGR2PKx1H4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

1- I do not question the patriotism of anyone this list (I, my Dad, our daughter etc have or are serving)

2- I too exchange a variety of patriotic, inspirational and/or 'wow, look at this" emails with friends & family

3- That said, this list is for CB&Q related info,  period.  I never send a blanket email to everyone on my 'list' except the time I changed email addresses.  I never send unsolicited emails beyond the scope of the relationship of I have with the recipient(s).  Hopefully we can all do the sane with CBQ yahoo.

Now to segue to CB&Q & WWII.   The AAR issued posters and blotters with patriotic messages(I believe one of the latter was used by Dave for a Zephyr Collectible column)   Other federal and commercial agencies did like-wise as the "40's lacked TV & Internet.  Thus radio, newspapers and colorful posters were how mass communications were done,

As to what was displayed in a depot, shop or office depended on the local officials.  Pics I've seen of depot & shop interiors of the era usually had the AAR posters but not the others.

WWII meant a lot of 'rules' were bent.  Hours of service on occasion were lifted, officially or unofficially with troop trains and the like.  The big change was for railroaders not governed by hours of service: Engineering (track) and Mechanical (Shops).  My grandfather was working in the ex-CB&N car shops at No. LaCrosse while his 2 sons served in the Pacific.  I have one of his hour books and invariably he worked far more than 8 hrs a day or 40 hrs a week. So did all the other guys.   If track needed to be maintained or cars/locos needed servicing, it was done - we were at war.

Many men delayed retirement (my grandfather) or came back to the shops to help out.  We indeed salute all the men & women who served both 'at the front' and at home.  The Q even had special humorous signs made for employees' Victory gardens,  Ralph Budd headed up the Federal programs to put RR'ers into Army RR battalions.

Gerald

Posted by: gvlc6@hotmail.com