Re: [CBQ] Missing Link

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Missing Link
From: "thommack@yahoo.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 09 Aug 2014 05:01:56 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1407585717; bh=ccN0079b09ck1luXAoGN3b7o89oERI2yOPEDOObgghA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:References:X-Original-From:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=0JeoIxps0EgRlH1xbNOXbSFDht5f4ihS6tmZFdPsqamh9ZXf7YzlPsuVaf8rSFVj7CucnxdRqCjl/Z7cT7HqsUiJmnf0E61jDagSgLWh/6PWfXMTOTTQzejnLLmnksqI0kD2fvnQqdD11RmWPw+nSUdI3o7fO000+nnkYNJupDM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

This is the first time I recall seeing this photo. I knew the Q originally wanted shovel nose E5's, but had no idea of this proposal.

It also makes it clear to me the what the possible evolution of the E-Unit nose stripes is. It is based on the location of windows below the grills (beside the headlights on the E-units). But instead of the window outlines, or actually painting in windows on the nose (as the photo indicates), you simply put black "shadows" where the dark black (when contrasted with the stainless steel) windows would have been. Since the GP's, SD's, and switchers used nose stripes, make the shadow out of separate horizontal stripes instead of separate block "windows. or single thick black block.

I never put that together before, but the grills, black stripes (where the front windows would have been below the grills), and Burlington Route herald below the front "windows", turn the E-Unit nose into a shovel nose Zephyr. It doesn't hurt that the black used to outline where the dark windows were was also the major corporate color on the Blackbird GP's, SD's, and switchers.

When the Q went from black to Chinese Red they simply changed the stripe colors on the E's to adopt the new red scheme. What the change  to red does, though, is isolates the original(?) reason for the nose stripes on the E-units from their link to shovel nose windows. It is only looking back through these photos that for me it all came together and makes sense.

Maybe my hypothesis of the development of the Burlington passenger scheme is incorrect, or maybe I read it somewhere before and am just recalling bits and pieces now, but to me this makes sense as the evolution of the passenger scheme.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Has this been written up before or confirmed before?

Tom Mack

---In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <rgortowski@...> wrote :

I've been told that after the Q canceled the "Shovel Nose" E-5 Units (I have correspondence from the Q and EMD thanks to Mike Spoor) they proposed this look.  Fortunately (for our stomachs) they went with the black nose stripes.  I can't absolutely verify this, but that's what I heard.