RE: [CBQ] A somewhat "Close Call" !!!

To: "cbq@yahoogroups.com" <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] A somewhat "Close Call" !!!
From: GLEN <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 14:59:10 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1398808752; bh=96DCWoQhql6F8F23fq4dz+/lmdKsXu8Hn2QqP0Jvzi4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-TMN:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=32mdqqoJemgUwScpsZxRYT2GYS1BafSP+FU0VGcoMcfIVAU5gu+A/aoH8ScyjOUYh6MO6zIPM136axWd4MkgC6bQdmPqRbamxzpaXzP3zLLqbkwouZzBAyBqoXj+Jmkfj/t8pDqccBLsIrzEVcbwLnl8bXdyCF5GL/1ZMWOVfmg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Karl:

In 1966, I had a similar close call, but I was on the motor car.

In the summer of 1966, I was on a System Bridge Gang that was rebuilding a pile
trestle bridge east of the penitentiary on the Nebraska City line (Br 59.02 I
think).  The outfits were west of the Lincoln depot, and we rode to the job
site on an 8 man motor car.  One afternoon upon leaving the bridge site, we
entered the Table Rock Main at Lancaster after the bridge foreman had been
assured on the phone that 'there is a train behind you on the Table Rock line,
but you should be able to clear him at Hall Tower before he goes into the
freight yard'.

The approach signals to the UP crossing at the old Sherman Tower location were
approach lit, and as we were moving toward Hall, the searchlight went from
'dark' to 'yellow', and I asked the foreman what that meant.  He said it meant
that there was a train in the circuit, and as we looked to a rear, we
discovered he was right.  A westbound train was coming up the Table Rock line
behind us with some Graybacks on the head end.  The foreman ordered every one
off the motor car, but the mechanic operating the MC said that he could make it
to a set-off near the UP crossing, which we did (admittedly the train's speed
was fairly slow, maybe 30 mph).  I never observed 3 or 4 men clear an A-8 motor
car that fast ever again.

Glen Haug