Re: [CBQ] compatibility of engines

To: CBQ <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] compatibility of engines
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:14:44 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1392056085; bh=jAEJFPM7rxaS9F09m5fj058A1rxMKrJuA9qXiF20olk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=NWgOmKjHuMJaLtZqlV5NCsJ/sreGLNO/kml24wdddXEphtzReU2L3YjjxNdL8jXX+lUShI5E2d5PfnOCj30vNmRLgAHF+FEb0CIG1CDzUnFj51hg4ZAqN/WnkSYZsiAOLmot1ZLZkWhXes9k9wCJt5Qk50CbOAeQB5SmEekbLX4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Basically, diesel-electric engines can be MUed without too much difficulty, although control of dynamic brakes sometimes caused some complications.   I model D&RGW diesels and have found that when EMD and Alco PAs were MUed, the EMD unit needed to be the controlling A unit leading the consist and controlling both it and an Alco PB, normally.

The one area in which major problems occurred was when the D&RGW owned Krauss-Maffei diesel-hydraulics 1962 to 1964.   The K-Ms were equipped with MU systems for diesel-electrics, but I have never seen a photo with other than the three K-Ms operating together.   This was one of several difficulties which caused D&RGW to sell the K-Ms to SP and not reorder any.

As diesel technology advanced, MU control of different types of units was easier, especially on roads like Q, where many units did not have dynamic brakes.   D&RGW owned almost all EMD units, but Q had many GE road switcher motors and operated them in mixed consists.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO