Re: [CBQ] Burlington LCL Service

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington LCL Service
From: Leo <qutlx1@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 07:20:38 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1391865642; bh=v1tWlCb29PMXyUuStqldFlVG3jJIOeSZi0vs1lfJloI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Message-Id:To:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=GyfDxz/bDZopZwBLCG7KeO8l9SJdaJK53OAEqcgekm4AGqadti2r/7wsL65eWVhx5MCMw8ZMXlZnZAoTTPwp2M0GjuHCzyWv8g9KmfXIR3a32sQ3EW8zkO/KDf63VR8pFswUkx4ZS4nGwx69SRyAN4yn79oPVIdCgKqd/fSO0WU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Almost every Wayfreight had one or more LCL cars in which the shipments for smaller stations on their route had been placed. This car was "worked" at each of the smaller stations by opening the car door and handling the parcels for that station. There could also be LCL set outcome cars to be spotted at the larger stations freight houses or on the depot house track.
I worked with one particular brkmn a number of times and his favorite sad sack story was about unloading school desks from the LCL car at Stratford,IL.
LCL was almost always handled in 40 ft box cars. Rarely a 50 footer. Occasionally an mty reefer could be utilized.

As FYI  I have 2 ofull length articles on Q LCL operations written for the BRHS Bulletin.
The smaller one is an in depth look at the Aurora,IL freight house operation. This house served both as the towns frt house and as what today would be called a "hub" for dozens of LCL cars going out on the daily Wayfreights across Northern Illinois.
The second is a large work on the Q's Chicago freight houses and operations. There were actually more than a dozen over the decades. Still working on visuals for this piece. Also have one or two more interviews to fill in blanks on operations.

Due to space,schedules,many other fine articles available from others I am unsure when these will be available.

Leo Phillipp

Sent from my iPad