[CBQ] Re: Track oiling

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Track oiling
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:59:44 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1389581989; bh=J9YlmGtT9oFbtEDKTngq9TWALoC7QpfIvzove/xzyKc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=to/dqddWrD4JYSRauMo3UIO9rAjJkmypcp1g7TGIds/8ambV7ZD0BwkvaoKI4a7VtjFn1jL2Il/8oeEJ7G/APb9zyIarw/mw9vM43gJOyWrhNaVHzVsTeWLhe1/DsKisxLV2dPDBv2LoANLcK/1yYgVFfAQt8pWTIWONBgLTFG4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

John,

I agree with Bill on this one. In the Chicago area where I grew up, I can produce several photos that clearly show that only the two eastbound mains had the rails oiled. The westbound outside main is clearly not oiled. It was common knowledge in those days, in the Chicago territory, that the eastbound rails were oiled to protect them from the effects of salt brine dripping from refrigerator cars. The empty westbound cars rode either the westbound or center mains. The two outside mains were only signal in one direction at that time. Trains only ran bidirectionally on the center main. Oiling rail may have been used for other purpose,elsewhere, but I have no knowledge of that.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO