Re: [CBQ] snow removal from suburban platforms

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] snow removal from suburban platforms
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 07:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1368972687; bh=TtGv8sn1kMxOyWSKEPD4vPhX5jQtm7BLamOL8O/D8kg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=bylmRVuhm1heKM+oqNVcHcIyxujkPXTv3gpn0POPLOwM42lkSCqv+k0e6SzsUbmg2N8hAAegGa1UsG17Z2DdQoDPN+kAgN8owl3hO0xeoLHVzK7/Q6nWI0AeQc5m5LEusCalSO9+qMCr5ulJzzdd5YHMso6oyz/x11sSViXNM54=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

We had a dispatcher in Cicero who was born and raised in Chicago and had never been outside the city limits until he came to Cicero as a dispatcher.  So one nite it started to snow and he called in and said he could not get to work.  SO I had to work an extra four hours till I died on the hours of service.  Now HOW am I going to get home as I of course rode the commuter trains when ever I could.  Saved by the bell there was a freight about ready to depart so I hot footed it down to Clyde and crawled up on the head end.  In the late '70-early  80s in a cost cutting effort the section was not called out till about an hour before the morning rush.  So most of the burners were not lit and the only track this freight could run on was West on Main 3.  The only crossovers working were at Downers Grove so we went hustle-ling West on Main 3 and as we started thru Western Springs the city crew had just finished cleaning the platform on the South side.  Remember the "new" depot was all clear plastic and of course the snow was all shoveled on to the tracks so we blew it all back onto the platform with the crew shaking their fists at us for undoing their work.  Got home and had to dig out my drive so I could get in off the street and hit the hay as the sun was coming up only to have to be on the 2:05 PM Back to work.
Steve in SC