Re: [CBQ] CB&Q 6316

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com, brhslist@yahoogroups.com, JK2402@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q 6316
From: LZadnichek@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:58:14 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1367089096; bh=1b1c/7ns+YRTO7tpnm14O/IUxpvNcwJnl+Id3TDUUfw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=2DsOCuCSc2KP6qAQOCL3lfWaxNRlibUgmRCwEw9r8O0raF4iohbyRoJFT9gkH5FEJsrPf1p8RXWvYHm7WSEX+396lT213BGYwesHmF5Y7Vo+nT3K/0lLBkQmYG2XBezJxR1R7eDxrogMx8gP+uoPcSXvx12HIVB47qdEgusOeK4=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

April 27, 2013

Justin - I, too, have a Pyle National headlight with "winged" number boards and the heavy cast steel smoke box face mount/bracket removed off Q M4a 6324. There was no number plate with mine, either, just the engine number painted on in yellow. Although the bracket has holes for a plate, it doesn't appear that a plate had been on it in a long, long time. It's been my understanding that many brass number plates were removed from Q steam engines during World War Two scrap drives and either replaced with cast iron ones or not at all with the engine number just being painted on the bracket in yellow. A cast iron number plate off sister M4a No. 6312 was recently offered for sale on this List for $3,995, but there was no follow-up posted indicating whether the plate sold or not. As for making cardboard cut-outs/stencils to number your headlight, fellow List member Charlie Vlk should be able to tell you what computer font to use for enlarging to the proper size. My headlight came from the Store Keeper at the Eola, IL. Reclamation Yard in, as I recall, the summer of 1963. Both the 6316 and 6424 are recorded as having been sold for scrap in 1961 to Northwestern Steel & Wire in Sterling, IL. Photographs of the 6316's scrapping were published in Ron Zeil's book The Twilight Of Steam Locomotives. Two of the M4a's awaiting dismantling there were pulled off the scrap line and used for a couple of years as stationary boilers in back of the steel mill along side the river. They were equipped with extended stacks and large air blowers on the front ends to create draft for the fireboxes. I photographed both and recall that their pilot trucks had been torched off to get them around the tight curves making them 0-10-4's. A sad fate for them both..... When they eventually got to leaking too much to be of any further use, both were cut-up. Getting back to the 6324, how its headlight ended-up in Eola some two years after the entire class has been sold for scrap brings-up the old rumor that at least one M4a was scrapped at Eola in the early 1960s to determine if it was cost effective for the Q to dismantle the locomotives themselves. It's been my understanding that this happened and it cost the Q more in labor than what the scrap steel was worth at the time, so no other "large" steam engines went to Eola, all were sold to Northwestern Steel & Wire. It is known that Q O1a 4992, that had last been used at Galesburg, IL, in hump yard and switching in the mid-to-late 1950's, did indeed move to Eola for scrapping in the summer of either 1960 or 61. Perhaps, the 6324 accompanied the 4992, but I've never been able to find official documentation. I'm very interested in how you came into possession of the 6316's headlight. Must be a good story there. Please advise - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL