RE: [CBQ] covered hopper decals

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] covered hopper decals
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:29:19 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1366860566; bh=LR7RMaSTFM/NpvaR0ekFpTdIcZ+mzHIOeJ/336r9Ih8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Rocket-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:Thread-Index:In-Reply-To:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=1msjMYHmb243CiMCiqTa/RJ2ll1LGTvg69luftwN2cYrNcYGRXWcrgpIFdxc2pHrmavtJXZJ3Bd6rIYbrQopu4dvZyDNggBxgav889dgAogkmv7VtliRKYtegf4ikdI6+EpOfQBjNcC4UnoLCp0XfH0LVIoEW4jHcJbML7sjURw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Duncan,

If you are considering using National Type B-1 trucks from Proto 2000 you may want to use the Bowser covered hoppers instead. I had an article in Rail Model Journal about that. You can find it on the “Train Life” website. I used a Sunshine ATSF/ Portland Cement “mini-kit” to replace the roof, latches and hatches. The hatches are larger and have the “J” shaped hinge brackets toward the outer edges. If you can’t get these you could try the long lift rings from Detail Associates cemented to the side of the hatch flange. Fabricating the roof ribs for the appropriate version could be done. I used the Champ set and found the herald to be a very tight fit between the ribs. Jerry’s decals have much sharper art and work well with a much thinner film used. I use Micro Scale 1 & 2 setting solution. Poly Scale special Oxide Red with a Future by Pledge Floor Finish glosscoat followed by Model Masters or Poly Scale Flat.

There are many reasons I don’t personally like the Kato hoppers beside the oddball truck mounts. The coupler mount needs to be removed and replaced and the frame fabricated to use a KD box either semi-scale or regular size. The flexible stirups seem to jump off and hide in the tall weeds. The existing latch bars don’t hold paint well and often distort or get caught on something and bend out of shape.

Sincerely,

Rob Manley

Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"Better modeling through personal embarassment"