[CBQ] Memories Of RFEs Bill Childers, Gene Waller and Red Visney

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Memories Of RFEs Bill Childers, Gene Waller and Red Visney
From: LZadnichek@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:46:20 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1361817985; bh=xqafAlY26M7uUmgzMdFJUrA8on5p0tQgwxspYilCxoQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-VSS-INFO:X-AOL-VSS-CODE:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type; b=3BI0CJTYEXaxeA6v+6w7yPjNbHU6mHwXHTojy3MILvO9p5BgXQlIoSB2xuKQ8ibKCTRwLY/m285T7nvXgQM+EMh/4mXmwgFG/xNBGd4CCiIsgP1TCKnz/ZNqg8B7WUnwh8h+pIIdJomiq0YOkuIqbNgwswXgNg/ung37BxoEo7k=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Following edited Email thread between myself and List member and retired Amtrak locomotive engineer Bob Campbell follows in hope that some one else will remember Q RFEs Bill Childers, Gene Waller and Red Visney from Lines East in the 1950s. Best Regards  - Louis Zadnichek II

E Unit 90 mph LaCrosse Bound

I see the photo came from Barry Huff in Galesburg.  He must be a "buff" based on the source of the photo.  My buddy Bill Barber recently pointed-out to me that the photo was actually in the February 2013 issue of Model Railroader Magazine (page 22).  Barry just copied the photo, but left off the caption which stated the Road Foreman of Engines was W. L. Childers on train #31, the Empire Builder near East Dubuque.  Rest assured, the photo was taken just a few miles north of Savanna and not near East Dubuque.  The picture was taken by Dr. Phil Hastings (psychiatrist) and close friend of David P. Morgan, long time Editor of "Trains" magazine.  I would imagine that both had close connections with Harry Murphy and would have no trouble procuring a "head end" pass to ride this train.  Typical practice of the time, then and now, would be to have the RFof E or Trainmaster ride the head end anytime a non-employee had authorization to ride the locomotive.  My purpose in writing is hopefully senior CB&Q officers Bill Greenwood or Earl Currie or M. "Louis" Zadnichek, II might remember W. L. Childers from North LaCrosse.  A timeframe of when Mr. Childers was assigned to NoLax would be helpful to approximate the date of the photo.  I am almost certain the engine is an E-8, post August, 1954, when the "Q" started to apply grab irons to the noses of E-8s.  It's interesting to note that in 1951 the ICC mandated cab signals if a train was to exceed 79 MPH (a result of the ICC study following the 4/25/1946 accident @ Naperville) yet, the double trackage between Savanna and North LaCrosse was ABS and not equipped with Automatic Cab Signals.  If you read the ICC Docket, it is very ambiguous as to the requirement for cab signals.

Take note the Barco reads 90.5 MPH and the GE electric speedometer (between the two horn handles) reads, 84 MPH.  Most likely, the Barco would be pretty close to correct.  Now if it was MJM running, the train would probably be doing 115 MPH with a fusee cap stuck under the plunger, but the speedo indicating 90!

Bob Campbell
Bixby, OK

- - - -

February 23, 2013

Bob - To answer your question, I remember that W.L. "Bill" Childers was RFE from North LaCrosse south to Savannah when my dad was assistant supt. at North LaCrosse from 1957 to 1960. Bill's wife Peggy was a successful real estate agent and, to my housewife mom, was very glamorous. I recall hearing from dad that at a later date Peggy had been so successful that Bill went back to being an engineer so he had a regular run and regular hours to spend time with Peggy. I remember Bill as being kind of stocky in build and kind of gruff. He was RFE on the steam excursions during that era and did most of the running. The RFE from North LaCrosse north to Dayton's Bluff was Eugene "Gene" Waller who became a close friend to my dad the rest of his career. Gene had lost his first family in a house fire and his face and hands were badly scarred from burns suffered in unsuccessfully trying to save them. He later remarried, had a second family and his wife in LaCrosse and my mom become good friends, too. Gene later took a transfer to Galesburg in the early 1960s as a RFE and I remember him taking the time one summer afternoon to tour me around the Galesburg roundhouse and deadline including a climb up into the cab of the 4000 where he related some first person accounts of it in service. Gene loved steam and was RFE on the steam excursions of that era, too. I recall that Gene retired to the Minneapolis area and has since passed away. His wife (can't remember her name) sent Gene's railroad cyclopedias to dad for his library and I have them now in my collections. I expect by now Bill Childers has passed away, too. I do not have an image of him, but I do have one of dad and Gene alongside the 5618 at North LaCrosse taken during a steam excursion:

Speaking of LaCrosse Division engineers, remember Mr. Frankey, the engineer who hit it big in the stock market? He usually dressed more like a banker than a locomotive engineer. His brother was my science teacher in junior high school at LaCrosse. Best Regards - Louis

- - - -

February 24, 2013

Bob - GREAT image! Very well could be the back of RFE W.L. Childer's fedora clad head showing. Considering "who" was riding the cab that day, it's more likely the RFE would be in a suit than the regularly assigned engine crew. Best Regards - Louis