[CBQ] Re: Pool Diesels on the Q

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Pool Diesels on the Q
From: "John and Carmen Jacobs" <jccrjacobs@marktwain.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:31:16 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1361403068; bh=6WWk/ApvTzc3w4XcUVU82lQOA4LIzIiTQiYZNdGoiv8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Virus-Scanned:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:Importance:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=HRlCOPbrUeaYvEaAgxJGQae5LP0wgkY9Xj6cMR4KX2JysmfeSCysR4aoMz4GQHmNNrNE1E/YVIyv5B4Wnp+5IMlUcehaGcqAjSgpJ55nt0f/jE3iIYRsU5dxEtrUPz5pAZ/SWiy0fI2FvP3dykKmaeL7cIHMa9bOjHFVVkshl68=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

All ,
The SP traffic from KC to Chicago was under the authority of the SPCSL, which the SP guys told me stood for Southern Pacific Chicago Short Line. When they first started in the 1980’s it was mainly a double stack train each way with run through SP power. later when the SPCSL took over the old CM&W, they started full trackage rights. I almost hired out then but had a good job at the time. At first the crews were based out of Bloomington IL and vanned to Camp Point  or Augusta to change crews.They had job fairs in Springfield Il to hire people to be based out of West Quincy. Was told by a SP engineer that at the height of the operation, SPCSL had 44 turns based in West Quincy to covor both directions. I have slides and video of some wild consists on these trains as they passed Palmyra on the Brookfield main. Everything from SP SW1500’s and SD7’s to SD45T-2’s/SD70M’s and AC4400CW’s. Plus whatever they were leasing at the time. I remember seeing up to eight trains each way per day which was twice to three times what the BN  was running west of West Quincy. Coal , ore, double stacks, junk trains, solid trains of coil steel, auto racks, anything the SP could solicit traffic wise. Was also told that this operation over the old Q was the most profitable operation for the SP at the time of their merger with UP.  All this on the old Q mainline thru Quincy came to a screeching halt when the BN/AT&SF merger happened and they were granted trackage rights on the Transcon thru Ft. Madison. Last SPCSL train I’ve seen was very shortly after the SP/UP merger, there was a service interuption on the transcon and they routed a eastbound coal train with UP power thru Quincy, this was around 1996/1997. Haven’t seen anything since then. I occasionally still see UP trackage rights trains at Ft. Madison when I work the K-line.
This was a 999 year lease and last I heard, it was still valid if they wanted to run over the Brookfield Sub.

Regards
John Jacobs