[CBQ] Re: Fwd: [PCL] Interesting use of HW Pullmans, CB&Q in the 1950s

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Fwd: [PCL] Interesting use of HW Pullmans, CB&Q in the 1950s
From: "Miles W. Rich" <milesrich@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 17:16:06 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360430175; bh=bkb2/iBxPO9wZfRuxQIFL2IHoXJ4pWYy2tt1isUQbtM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=xz+8fRhZCgljzCkCZXxw7q45BW3oF/xBv6NnTmSkSyx5UR3mP8oiWx58AvBNvBcdlsgjnT5pcUHRi/POT1QnSyIwdcUARo8hsuY8MMLUZlG+p4TKfjoYLiOQwgxLHBHXzb46+p0bDUDRYqgXR0HHRjBGunvRUC3zSyqG7g51IqE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Train 47 and 48 prior to about 1958 continued onto the DRI line in Downtown
Rock Island and then proceeded across the Crescent Bridge to Davenport;
however, by the time the train stopped running on January 14, 1961, the service
from Rock Island to Savanna had been discontinued completely, and the last few
years of service north of Rock Island via the DRI line  to Clinton and then
back across the river on the C&NW bridge and on to Savanna were operated with a
Doodlebug, so the train was turned in Rock Island.  The CB%Q Station burned
seven years later in 1968.  I saw smoke from near my house off 17th Street and
35th Avenue and drove toward it seeing the inferno that burned the depot.  I
have read the depot was scheduled to be demolished at the time it burned.  It
was an impressive structure considering the little usage it got after the line
to St. Louis became part of the CB&Q. Based on a book on the Peavine I have,
the station never saw more than three arrivals and departures per day.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com