[CBQ] Q Memories

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q Memories
From: "thomasad65a" <thomasad65a@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 17:51:46 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360078528; bh=inKt49yY54CRS/6hTDz/xPt4NS+DdIEJfXkYfh0X2ag=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=E9dDUF6PMC6nH6sWey1+eclnQj7X5w/DIVkfy4KUS6aNjbco28GGSzQM4L3vjkAlKTeM8mucJSDX4jzQae7rjKutpOaF1gbbccAnSAhRvHfT9ZxUupdtuxp1YuSGs6Ha2kyw3SiItsVriyUl43k2svqtKURJ8jWc+6cOg+PQksw=
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1360078527; bh=XWyr4q/N9E8O4Ce602Bx0E6mmOLwP1qi9hb8q3p9nO4=; h=Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Date:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=inQBlxQUTKS7adbUcAoniCTgdB3RtO7SBBnhQrHu9+ku3KwC8+98KI05gBOI7X0mvKjnvgnmCtodhjfPfTeeeJB99hfCS3u94kgP62vQNuCLmw2PpwFPnVziEetCKGhv9D8+mwrfg2YgaiOF0gddpAynzkQixODNpzdtMEG2Y9w=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello.  My name is Tom DeRoo.  I joined the group last Spring, but have mostly
been an observer.  At Louis Z's suggestion, I'll offer a few memories about my
Q connections.

My father was a lifetime Burlington man.  He hired on Chicago around 1925, and
served in clerical jobs in Clyde and the general office.  In 1949 he was
promoted to chief clerk to the master mechanic in Casper, Wyoming.  I imagine
my mother was not thrilled about moving from the big city to the desolate
plains, especially with 3 young children including a few-months-old baby.  Then
in late 1959, dad was transferred to the same job in Hannibal.  Later, around
1970, he was transferred to Kansas City, where he retired.

Dad didn't tell me many stories about his job, but I'll mention a few.  In the
late 1940's, we lived a few blocks from the LaGrange Road station, right on
Ogden Avenue.  Late one night, an O5 started up from the station, and the
windows shook in our house.  Dad would ride the suburban trains to and from
Union Station.  He liked to play bridge with some other commuters, at least on
the evening run home.  He also told me once that, when he was at Clyde, people
would tell new hires to go to the far end of the roundhouse and bring back a
bucket of steam. :)

During our decade in Casper, we rarely travelled.  But for my 9th birthday, dad
and I took trains 29 and 30 to Denver and back, to see a post-season major
league baseball all-star game.  Dad took a picture of me standing beside a UP
steam engine, and I remember being afraid of it.

In a future post, I'll mention my own summer/vacation jobs with the Q, from
1962-1965.  But here's a little event some of you might find amusing.  In May
1960, I went to Kansas City to ride behind 5632.  We went up to St. Joe, over
to Cameron, and back to KC.  The line down from Cameron was no longer very
busy, I think.  Anyway, along that stretch I was riding in an open-door baggage
car, with boards across the opening.  Every so often I would stick my head out
to get a better look at 5632.  One time I stuck my head out and . . . WHAP!  I
was hit full in the face by tree leaves, at track speed.  Fortunately I didn't
lose my glasses, or my parents would really have been 'steamed'.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com