[CBQ] Riveted tank car photo uploaded

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Riveted tank car photo uploaded
From: "smokyjoe66" <js08ws62@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 00:11:23 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1357690287; bh=QbQP5e3hmJgK9Gs3GUQuYqp91L+u3F6a0NWbpXrG6XI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ugNMHYDjoZATJzKFjxKvPoI1ConlEMUZCkoaWBsJVYtqEocZ9dPlQNSM4hDyuokSw5LMChU37vKItnuYZUTIMQvrDixW5g/m8rTs9wdzmS7uLIURIPKrLYSg9DxwG34+X6JduNAcxch6JYdljqY5kKODXjTvLKp5zGwO3RqIUnc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Recently there has been some interesting discussion about riveted and banded
tank cars. In the early 1980s I photographed here in the Brookfield, Missouri
yards one of the most curious and beautiful tank cars I have ever seen. It was
a short (don't know the exact length) 4-Dome riveted and banded steel tank car.
It was not junk; it was being used in Maintenance-of-Way service. I have just
uploaded a photo of it to the CB & Q Tank Car Album in Photos. It's number was
BN #973137. I do not know if it was originally CB & Q or another railroad
involved in the 1970 merger. What particularly caught my attention was the
reporting marks which indicated it was built in 1912 !

I am supposing this car was carrying potable water for the maintenance-of-way
crew personnel housed in the module atop the adjacent flatcar. I will be happy
to send this photo (saved at 512 dpi) by e-mail to anyone requesting same when
contacting me off-line. When it is enlarged it reveals interesting detail how
those bands were tightened. But I am sure Leo knows much more about all that.
It was here for about three weeks. Knowing the BN number someone can probably
discover more interesting historical details about it. But, I am not privy to
informed commentary about everything I see, nor do I have the resources to
discover all desired information. Enjoy.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com