[CBQ] Some color match comments

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Some color match comments
From: "jonnyo55" <johnnyo55@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:15:05 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1356102914; bh=ccskK6ySz9EM0bWHU2S2ip4AplaUfTcLyO7WRJgH884=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TooCoAxwmz1NncBGiZfSqd39EGfejEVyWxp2lG1/Guhq3EQmNbR9sbt7MSH6uycfNL8IkNOg7LsRK2+DXkBy4aItkK+mjp9GS3rDVUi7KiTza2Wn7EEZ3PgaUdnX8h3tt1GsU1mvOck2YDhvsKpMYjPZRl0YnenbSQ29EyoMpho=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Some random comments regarding CB&Q color matches:

1) I've found a good match for "Blackbird" grey in the Tamiya acrylic line;
it's #XF-19 Sky Grey. Seems to be a good match for the Geep on the cover of the
wonderful "CB&Q Waycars" book. I've finally got around to detailing and
color-correcting the pair of P2k GP7 locos that have been languishing for years
now, and in doing so have saved the $300 or so I would have spent on Genesis
units (should they ever be released!)
Tamiya paint also airbrushes very nicely, especially if one uses their
proprietary thinner (X-20A). Sometimes it's good to look "outside the box" at
colors meant for the plastic modeling crowd...

2) Something to keep in mind when dealing with "imitation aluminum" F
units...at least according to anecdote, the FT locomotives were delivered in a
very light off-white shade. The following order of F3's, at the suggestion of
EMD, were painted in a darker shade somewhat similar to the above "blackbird"
grey. Q management apparently preferred the lighter color, as the next order
(F7's) reverted to the earlier, lighter shade. So...if you have a set of the
old Stewart F3's, don't be in a big hurry to repaint!

3) One of the most difficult color matches I've done was matching the lighter
imitation aluminum. I had an AA set of P2k F7's and an "extra" Intermountain
F7B painted in some other road.  Ended up adding a surprising amount of yellow
to get the color right. One of the big problems was the tendency of acrylic
paints to experience color shifts when drying as different pigments migrate to
the surface. I ended up tearing out some of my precious remaining hair as the
color which looked "just right" after application would end up too yellow or
too white the next morning. There's a moral in here somewhere...just take it
slow and be sure of what you've got before going ahead with the decaling.

4) I'm still a little unsure about the "redbird" grey...was it darker than the
"greybird" color, or was it the same color, but new and unaffected by bleaching
in the sun?  More food for discussion...

My best wishes to all for a safe and peaceful Christmas holiday and a
prosperous New Year!

John O'Connell

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com