[CBQ] Email attack - sorry if you got stung

To: "wgcrush@swbell.net" <wgcrush@swbell.net>
Subject: [CBQ] Email attack - sorry if you got stung
From: Skip Waters <wgcrush@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:52:05 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1355899927; bh=yUF5pcwXfpB+rt/MQxU1yRDq+vLZleqYb6WNTe83GU8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Zz18jnBMWssv2Y7rzpD8OtATwbVAFInRjSz1KNJ2tsYjg/+TxRbj7Bp4VMqf+83iOKXTM20oHke/orfFmMGNMDOj4x6KdcB/iE7U38rrQ6HO2/oV7xWFXnOLMfHSzGEuWY7NguW8Og7gn5QyxtNAReMQD9qq+wKF4zWec6na4Lk=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Earlier today, my email address was hacked.  I am sorry if you got this from me.  This is what I can tell you about the Attack...

I saw my old friend Mike Bedford's email first... I hadn't heard from him in a while so I was excited to see his name... in my excitement I clicked on the link and then all hell broke loose...

With in seconds, I started getting failed emails returned to me, from me, to addresses in my address book and then started seeing the same email being posted to all the groups I belong too... it went crazy.

What I noticed is my password was not involved at all... at no point did I use it... then I saw friends who I know started having the same problem I was having... they also clicked on the link and BOOM!  Their addresses were being attacked too!  Of course...they were upset with me... but I was helpless.

Thanks to everyone who responded to let me know I was having an attack... at the same time I was trying to warn you guys...but my server also was freezing me out to send anything.  This all went down between 4:34pm - 4:46pm.  Now everything has seemed to stop... either by my server or they ran out of addresses.  My email account seems to be back to normal.

With all that said... I can't explain what really happened to me...but man what a ride.  I hope that never happens again.  Any advice in addition to changing my password is welcomed.

Thanks,

Skip Waters
Dallas, Texas