[CBQ] Re: Sunset O scale E7

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Sunset O scale E7
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:35:23 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1354210534; bh=6MV90d49E9zoOIhLDB+mwwksVgwoVl+wVJz2LYcYOpk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=XQ5SZF/PxQvBBf2pNUXCWNwQ86tWmskaSNG2PiuO11cfUYp1KY8ufU+Bl3XzTXggy399qQMQfH/dfkbF/DBPSZJRuQC74PP/ru0isNIaY0kv79djVt6iV4xn0jnqpUWRcejwbELeMoA1t7tO4qunwVwzYTEWzarR0ZQyfdCo4nU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I just received two Sunset 3RD Rail CB&Q E7s. They are beautiful and very
faithfully modeled. The model represents the first group of Q E7s with the
early number board arrangement. I believe they were nos. 9916A & B through
9925A & B. I heard that Sunset has offered the models in five Q numbers. The
model appears to be correctly painted with three black stripes across the nose
(the two later orders of E7s had four black stripes). Sound and both DC and DCC
operation is included. The drive is a large horizontally mounted Canon can
motor with a tooth belt going to a gear sheave in the fuel tank. Shafts extend
fore and aft to truck mounted gear boxes. Unlike the prototype, all six axles
are powered. I only have DC at the moment and I found the sound to be quite
authentic. Kadee couplers are also included and two separate pilots; one with
the coupler extended and one with the coupler doors closed. The pilots can be
interchanged with just two small screws. About the only criticisms that I can
make are the back interior wall of the cab is in the wrong place, but could be
easily modified to reposition it and the cab access ladder below the carbody is
truck mounted instead of being attached to the carbody. This is probably a
concession to sharper curve radii. I have a concern about the horns. There are
two on the cab roof, one facing each direction. Photos seem to show several
different applications over time. I don't know which is correct for the various
time periods.

If you are in O scale and you are looking for a beautiful model of Q diesel
power, this one is worth the $550 price. I can hardly wait for Atlas to
continue their Cal Zephyr series of cars. These E7s will look great pulling the
complete train! As for the usual disclaimer, other than being a customer, I
have no relation to Sunset 3RD Rail. In fact, I have not always been pleased
with every model they have produced, but this one is a winner.

One question has arisen. Looking at photos, in the days before they Q
permanently locked the front couplers in the extended position, how did they
manage the coupler cut levers and the MU hoses. Photos of E7s in the early days
appear to show a possible cut lever handle at each corner of the pilot above
the pilot step. Was the cut lever linkage, in fact, mounted behind the pilot?
Did it require any hook up when the coupler was extended? In the early day
photos, there are no MU hoses or even capped off pipes visible around the anti
climber or the pilot. Did they operate more than two units together in the
early days, and if so, how did they make the MU connections? The same questions
exist for the steam and train lines. It appears that the steam pipe may have
moved in and out with the coupler carrier. Was the train line brake pipe also
part of this movable assembly? Did the units, as built, have a nose electrical
MU connection at the front. I seem to recall that the Q added electrical MU
connections to some locomotives in later years. However, early photos seem to
show an MU connection door adjacent to the upper headlight where one of the
imitation grills is painted.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com