RE: [CBQ] Picking Up Water on the Fly?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Picking Up Water on the Fly?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:37:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1351525038; bh=VS/YxDlnujoHEsvuAVtpq6/nuq2YkIOcGzF5kDtQDk0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type; b=hNtLP0UMJMkLrZjoD3ughw1GUrX6Eo3LQRt54Oz+1123uLGk6PVJL5/GKHmNUP9eq6YmSAJTKXQSvL2K6egL47vhNKg9g2B1omswRYlFr/JKJT8pM92r5xA0cNygCeS1
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Rupert-

At this time I can’t remember what gave me the notion that CB&Q had some tenders set up for track pans…..a review of all my saved CB&Q digital steam photos did not turn up any photos that show N or P class locos so equipped.  The European-style six wheel rigid frame tenders don’t look like they would have had room for such a device and the K2 style replacement tenders have very little space between the Baldwin Pedestal Tender Trucks.

I tried to search the Linda Hall Library collection but it wasn’t working for me for the search term “water pan”   or even “water”.   I will keep on looking but right now I would say it is possible but unproven.   The Q experimented with a lot of stuff that we don’t have much evidence of….including oil firing pre-1890 and Wooten firebox equipped locomotives.

Charlie Vlk

Sorry, I clicked on Send instead of Save. But now that it's out there, has anyone come across any references to the Burlington
having tenders for picking up water from troughs?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ