Re: [CBQ] Re: interesting use of HW Pullmans, CB&Q in the 1950s

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: interesting use of HW Pullmans, CB&Q in the 1950s
From: ejcon3841@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 10:17:36 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1346509065; bh=Pvicl7ipPhzMybClE7th/UkS74oLQhe9Ug/c8E2tiAc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=PhU+sGfeKMmd5rD115p7tYDtHQX+gSpIPyd4MKbV69Oc0Sk4iS5J1h2b+0r3rVpLbO2HSBrtnodwRjFd0Jkq57ckEcQzxy4b2VncUbNd6bx6MtSX25IyIyJ1T/Af0C4b
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Glad to see interest in one of my favorite trains (47-48) that I rode in the baggage cars from Rock Island to Savanna and back.  I'm going to take the liberty to add some additional information concerning 47-48.  First, it was true that John Deere personnel used the trains frequently prior to better roads and air transportation.  Deere & Co. (the name for John Deere's corporate headquarters in Moline then and still now) and six of it's John Deere manufacturing units were located at that time in Moline and East Moline.  Also, in the late 40's and early 50's Deere had sales branches in Moline, St. Louis and Minneapolis.  It was obvious why this particular train was advantageous for Deere personnel to travel between all these locations.

To more correctly describe how the train moved let me add a comment or two for that purpose.  The train entered the Tri-Cities (now Quad-Cities) going North from Barstow then through Silvis, East Moline, Moline and stopping in Rock Island to pick up the Pullman.  This was almost all on CB&Q trackage.  The Burlington and the Milwaukee did have, since early in the Century, control of the Davenport, Rock Island and Northwestern Railroad (DRI&NW) which had parallel trackage most of the way and provided the Milwaukee access to the same areas.  This will be covered more thoroughly in a future Bulletin.  Out of Rock Island the train proceded over the Crescent Bridge and into Davenport's Union Station. After Davenport the train pro- ceded up the west side of the Mississippi River on DRI&NW trackage to Clinton, Iowa.  At Clinton the train utilized the C&NW bridge to again return to the Illinois side and continued to Savanna, Illinois.

At Savanna the train was broken up with the RPO, certain coach(s) and Pullman being transferred to the Minneapolis/St. Paul bound Blackhawk.  The crew members and the other equipment would remain in Savanna for the Chicago bound Blackhawk a few hours later and the whole process reversed.  We actually slept in one of the baggage cars for those few hours.

As already indicated by the mid 1950's the schedules had been considerably changed and part of the route was even handled for a short time by a gas/electric out of Rock Island.

I hope this further clarifies 47-48, but to make it more interesting, through the war years there was a sister train 51-52 that left St. Louis and started this run in the evening.  I never saw anything on these trains except HW cars.

Jerry Lundeen