[CBQ] Miscommunication/Track Names

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Miscommunication/Track Names
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 23:42:57 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1344051813; bh=uBcowfK+pcHkpJyndcwpu/T1NUR6X7harOubJskF2cc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=AqmYlD5opCWffQjg86ECuFYEFplXjDigRxQ7ZyHiqEM6iSSEDG41DiXVlovRDq7kOERP0FRslBUgGx3oXBD9OvJ031QaayGeEEzlETCXrZP1d7acncIEkG4ZtJL8Jnzt
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Along the line of what we've been discussing about track names goes the term miscommunication or no communication. While not exactly tied together I think you'll understand the stories(they unfortunately are true). Yes 100%.

I got tired of the brknms extra list and working 10 out of every 7 days,that's not a typo. So I looked around for something to bid in with a day off every week. I won the 6PM Rochelle job. I knew why,the Condrs nickname  started with a G and he was the farthest thing from sweet. You could work 16 hrs and he might say 10 words. Rarely tell you the next move. But one thing was certain; he would do your work,the other brkmns and his if you didnt keep up. And he'd leave you standing by the rails if you didn't follow the move and get on for a long shove somewhere.  After a few weeks I figured out the job pattern and old G got to trust me. One day he hands me the portable radio and says take this piggyback and put it on the ramp. You have the OK to x/o at the depot and use the other main. I'm going to sit here and smoke a cigarette. So off I go,we shove downtown,x/o,go in on house 1 or was it called 2,that darn #ing system,plus there wasnt a frt house. The tracks simply went behind the depot. Any way,there was a boxcar or something in the way,so I set it over spotted the pig,set the box back, came out on main 1,x/o'd to 2 and headed back out to Carnation. While on the way an 82 went speeding past and didnt return our waive ? When I got out to old G he asked me why I "stuck" 82 so bad? I said you told me to spot the pig and he said I told you to put it on the ramp !

Another day I was the extra brkmn at Oregon,IL on the switch job and while I had picked up and set out many times at Oregon this as my first Oregon- Mt Morris job service. This was a 2 man job(Condr and brkmn) and the regular brkmn did 95% of the work and old Crazy Con  mostly sat in the depot and communicated with the dispatcher for time on the main,etc. We were parked on the Mt Morris main in front of the depot and I was resting comfortably on the front platform/steps when Crazy Con came out of the depot and said "go get the bunk outfit". So I give the engineer a go ahead sign and we go down to the frt house where there's a bunk outfit and it's the only one I see in town. Now there's 2 house tracks and I dont know which is one or two but in this case it doesnt matter as I cant miss those orange cars, right ?

After going over the switch I give the old cranky hoghead a come back sign and he wants to know what the hxxx I think, I'm doing. After a short sharp discussion in which I pass on the the old cons instructions he point to the west and coming around the curve is a local with a bunk outfit on the rear end !

Or how about the time we're on a rail p/u work train between Mendota and Denrock picking up all the hundreds of rails that had been changed out in the last x years. We had a lengthy train of gons as there was a lot of rail. About lunch it's decided we'll run back into Mendota to eat. But there's a full yard with no where to go. Being a poor lowly brkmn noone communicates the plan to me and I look over in the North yard at the mty tracks thinking there's an easy place to park this train for awhile but no........... We go into the south yard and proceed to spend 20 minutes or so stuffing parts of our train onto the various house tracks(they were numbered 1 to ? from the outside in,toward the main. After completing this chore(which for a work train was a bit odd and thinking this must have been the footboard ydmstrs or agents plan) I ask the question whos brilliant plan was it to spend all that time switching when the North yard is open? Old Ken who wouldn't say sxxx ,looked at me and said"it was my brilliant plan" and I felt about 6 inches tall.

Leo