[CBQ] Re: New Burlington Route Passenger trains vol 3 book

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: New Burlington Route Passenger trains vol 3 book
From: "rgs20460" <amtrak347@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:43:11 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1343680994; bh=lG0op+KdUc6afArG/TWJckiI2UWzu2BWd9dWUVMD4QA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=mMDmIIieo+0KWM0AC21x3uMKScbHVNbjXYH3tDX0Nv2eujf3lyPOfUAOYts2lSJ2EU4/WVwrftbICEaGbdRYIJxv/oS0Aa4t2viKzozU0qEi7H6B5so/X0vMgxIl6DEd
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Smith <kc2bw@...> wrote:

> Group...On the bottom of page 83,  the caption says this train is eastbound,
> west of Mendota. Does anyone recognize this location? It seems to me that
> this is a west bound train, in late afternoon,  as the pole line along the
> main was on the south side of the tracks, and the sun is in the south west.
> If this is eastbound, then the poles are on the north side. And there are no
> over head bridges west of Mendota until Princeton. I suppose there could
> have been a bridge that was removed, but I see no evidence of  one in
> satellite photos. It has me baffled. Any clues?
>
> Gordon Smith

Gordon -

You are correct; the photo on the bottom of page 83 is of a westbound train and
true, it is west of Mendota - WAY west of Mendota - like MP 111.4, just west of
Wyanet, IL. Photo was taken from the Wyanet-Walnut Road overhead bridge. Down
in that grove of trees is the bridge over the Illinois and Mississippi Canal
and around the left hand curve is the bridge over the Rock Island double track
main to the Quad Cities (this is where the "new connection" will be located for
Amtrak service to Iowa, maybe in the near future).

While we are correcting "captions" in Vol. III, on page 55, bottom photo was
taken at the Route 34 crossing in Wyanet and not Buda ("Wyanet Locker" to the
left is a good hint).

Maybe Glen Haug can "enlighten" us as to when the signal bridge at MP 110.8 was
moved to MP 111.3?  It would have to be after these pictures were taken in 1964.

The second car in the page 83 photo will help me justify the purchase of 10
Weaver "O" scale troop sleeping cars, that I thought I purchased in error;
they'll just have to be REA Express Reefers instead of the Q's BE-1 storage
mail troop kitchen cars.

Bob Campbell
Bixby, OK

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com