RE: [CBQ] Re: Photos at Riverside, IL and Location of Hinsdale Cabin

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Photos at Riverside, IL and Location of Hinsdale Cabin
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 11:07:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1341598034; bh=aqrMpI4n/hzH2ertY3Ok58BJHlhp5yRAIh4sasjEDBg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=RJ12UYu7HUNT2pev5On3mByhpgWKX3b1YCacww7PmbCjpYXpR7ndQKX+fAVd1k546dqVD/gOOaX4sLXrfKLXJWZpSoHiusfejFnd506PBEY4V4EU78TqIDsjrXaOix4J
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill:

I wasn't very clear.  When I was referring to MP 17.5, it was in reference to a guess, on my part, for the location of Hinsdale Cabin, not Western Springs.

The information in the 1890-91 timetables list Hinsdale and West Hinsdale at 17.0 and 17.8 miles from Chicago.  A block cabin is identified as Hinsdale Cabin, but no milepost or distance is given for Hinsdale Cabin.  But they do say that Hinsdale Cabin is at the middle track terminal, which to me means at the east end of 3 main tracks ( until later in 1891, there were only two mains from Hinsdale to Riverside).  At this time, there were also TWO middle tracks at Hinsdale, lengths not identified.  They were called the North Middle and the South Middle.  The North Middle was next to the NORTH MAIN and the South Middle was next to the SOUTH MAIN.  To me, this means four tracks, 2 mains and 2 sidings, with the sidings between the mains.

It seems unlikely to me that there would have been 4 tracks right at Hinsdale station.  East of Hinsdale, it would seem impossible because the present three mains go through a narrow cut west of Highlands.  The only place that I believe there is room for 4 tracks is on the west side of Hinsdale, between Lincoln and Monroe Streets (in the not-too-distant past there was a siding on the north side).  Therefore, this tells me that the junction where 3 mains became 2 mains and 2 sidings was somewhere around Monroe Street, which is about MP 17.5.  This is close enough to West Hinsdale that it may be the same block cabin that is referred to as West Hinsdale in the article about the Western Springs 1912 wreck.

Glen Haug