[CBQ] Re: Identification of Date of Head-On Collision 1911 at Riverside,

To: <glenehaug@msn.com>, <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Identification of Date of Head-On Collision 1911 at Riverside, IL?
From: "Chuck Hatler" <gnhistory07@live.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:17:08 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1341425863; bh=iVWMlKKsu2RfXqyE5rqF6w6+sFVcBiaETIgZCRwirxw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:Importance:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=IVAN8w0DcledQ0nlh2XpFu3mWkjEW5HJdHHC/1rHSAm7gVOKOdqmh3RMcH2vYrXiUOdgivmeImUmeoVpjZSn/+n+rc6RhQ23ULkwWhoeuzEDA+N+AQeK4s6d7LzLkQnw
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Glenn,

I don’t find anything in a 1911 newspaper search about a wreck at Riverside.  However, by searching wider, I found information on a Nov. 5, 1901 accident in which the eastbound fast mail, aka Cannon Ball, collided head-on with a freight train at Riverside.  Crew of the fast mail were injured.  Crew of freight train were not.   Accident occurred in fog, which obscured signals, and the freight train was crossing over to the west bound tracks, thinking that the fast mail had already passed.  That also explains why the freight train crew were not injured.  The mail train probably hit the freight train behind the engine.

I cannot say with certainty that this is the accident, but with a different date, if the locals go search their newspapers and the Chicago papers, they may find more information that collaborates the date, or does  not collaborate the date.  Let us know what you find, please.  No photos in any of the papers I found, but that is not surprising.

Chuck Hatler
KC MO